Sunday, June 22, 2014

Short Summary of May & June

Wow. It's been forever since I last posted!

Since my last post, I have heard back from all of my colleges, visited the majority of the ones I got into, committed to Rice University in Houston, TX, survived my AP tests, performed in about 10 of my last high school orchestral concerts/musicals, enjoyed senior prom with my h.s. friends, won a Grammy http://www.easyreadernews.com/82207/mira-costas-music-department-wins-grammy-signature-school-award/  ;),  celebrated Father's Day, Mother's Day, several birthdays, and a couple of retirements, got my first credit card, traveled on a plane to San Francisco and back by myself, burned my college rejection letters at an epic bonfire with friends, helped a teacher with a surprise wedding proposal for her boyfriend, attempted to participate in a school-wide water gun fight, went on a double blind date.., finished off my last high school lunch with a final teary huddle with my best friends, GRADUATED HIGH SCHOOL, reunited with family members I haven't seen in over a year, suffered another heartbreak, shadowed a couple of neurosurgeons, rediscovered my love for cold caffeinated drinks, watched my sister grow up really quickly (now she WILL NOT stop asking trying on my clothes/make-up w/o permission and requesting for rides for her and her friends), surprised the hell out of my best friends with sneak attacks on their 18th birthdays, found myself getting into a strange dress phase, saw the King's proudly parade around downtown Manhattan Beach with the Stanley Cup, became comfortable with driving on the freeway, stayed home overnight by myself for the first time, tried to help my friend overcome her fear of buying tampons in public with a hilarious undercover operation, explored caves in PV, attended my last orchestra banquet, learned several valuable life lessons from my wise mother, watched all of my friends and classmates commit to college/other plans across the globe, said final goodbyes to teachers and some fellow students, and rode a mechanical bull and stuffed myself with fistfuls of candy and caffeinated drinks in honor of an all-night Grad night celebration.

Yup. The above jam-packed paragraph barely captures the hell of a roller-coaster ride the last two months have been. So many goodbye's and last's, but so many first's to come!

Anyways, to add to all of the recent excitement of life, I leaving on a trip to China this coming Tuesday. I will be performing in various venues there with my h.s. orchestra for the next two weeks. We will be visiting Beijing, Xuzhou, Hangzhou (my grandmother's birthplace!), Keqaio, Suzhou, and Shanghai. It will be my first time visiting the Asian continent, and I am quite excited. I am ethnically half Chinese and half Vietnamese, but I have yet to visit either home nation. After this trip, I will be able to cross one of the two off my list!

Though I predict we will not have much time in between all the sightseeing and performances whilst in China, I will attempt to document my experiences on a daily basis on this blog.




ADULTHOOD..WUT?
Kidnapping my friend since the early preschool days,
Marissa, on her 18th birthday with friends, Anna and Annie (not pictured).

SENIOR PROM
One of many, many pre-prom photos...
From left to right: Annie, Max, Marissa, Nick, Leah, John, Anna, David, Me, Erick, Kellie, Bryan

SO MANY LAST'S :'''(
Orchestra seniors (minus a few) after our last concert of the year!
Top row from L to R: Helena (Harp), Sarah (Violin), Anna (Violin), Kellie (Violin),
 Ryan (Double Bass), Annie (Cello), Koh (Violin), Taylin (Violin), Marissa (Violin)
Carina (Viola), and Me (Cello)
Bottom row from L to R: Kirk (Violin), Chris (Viola), and James (Viola)

HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION
From left to right: Anna, Leah, Me, Marissa, Kellie, Abby, and Annie. The crew/gang/squad...



WE ARE GOING TO COLLEGE!
From left to right: Naba (California Polytechnic University), Anna (University of California at Santa Cruz), Annie (Loyola Marymount University), Me! (Rice University), Marissa (California Polytechnic University), Leah (University of Arizona), Kellie (University of California at San Diego), Abby (University of Pennsylvania), Taylin (California Polytechnic University)
ORCHESTRA ;)
Joking around at our last orchestra banquet before our China send-off.
From left to right: Marissa, Kellie, Me, Annie

HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION
Friends since the good old elementary school days! Great memories.
From left to right: Janet (LMU), Natasha (CSU Long Beach), Me (Rice U)

CHERISHING MY LAST DAYS WITH MY CHILDHOOD FRIENDS
Annie, my longest friend of a whopping 18 years, and I. Thanks for putting
up with me for this long!

No comments:

Post a Comment