Thursday, February 4, 2016

Blog for my Loewenstern Fellowship


Hello readers!

I just wanted to let you all know that I have a second blog, specifically for my Loewenstern International Fellowship. I was recently awarded this Rice University fellowship to pursue a service internship in Nicaragua over the summer of 2016. I will be working with Foundations for Sustainable Development at a family health center in Nancimi (rural Tola), Nicaragua on a sexual and reproductive health education program.

My interest in this fellowship arose from my previous Rice Global Medical Brigades trip to Nicaragua. During my trip I saw the pressing need for sexual reproduction and proper hygiene education for female adolescents. Through the Loewenstern Fellowship, I will have the opportunity to explore these gender-specific issues prevalent in rural areas in Nicaragua more in depth and help develop a sustainable outreach project to educate young girls on basics of reproductive biology, instill safer sex and hygiene practices, and increase their overall self-confidence.

I will be sharing updates from my pre-trip preparation, in-country experiences, and post-trip reflections in this blog. Please feel free to check in there to follow me on my journey!


Best,
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment