Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Diminishing Disappointment

I never write poems but decided to write a terrible one today on the plane home from Chicago, IL. I wanted to experiment with expressing my feelings in a different form. I had an interview day with Northwestern's School of Medicine but was disappointed with how I performed as you probably could assume from the title of this post. I don't officially hear back until April 1st, but yes, it was a challenging learning experience for me.

Disappointment,

That horrid feeling,
Leaves me with worse than nothing.

Merciless Disappointment

Haunts me

Day in 
             and 
                        day out,



            Hour            
                               upon            
                                                 hour,


                                   Minute        
                                                        upon    
                                                                         consuming       
                                                                                                       m  i     n       u         t         e       

 With e m p t y hopes,



                                                       E   m   p   t   y     dreams,



   E      m      p      t      y      thoughts of what could have been,

                                         
But what can never be any more.



Instead of the shiny red wrapping paper,
                                                   
                                                                               The fancy silver ribbon,

                                                            And the large green box, 


                                   Promising so much,

But containing so little, 



I think that it would be much better if,




                                                                Under the tree, there was

Nothing at all.




Well, on a more positive note, after I finished writing this post originally titled "Disappointment" I checked my email and found out that I was accepted to UC Berkeley and invited to apply for a UCB Regents' & Chancellor's Scholarship. My disappointment has diminished greatly in light of my acceptance. Today really has been an emotional roller coaster for me. Teenage years. Gah. What can you do about them. 

I guess the point of this post is that there is an endless number of life paths out there for us all. Sometimes I know that it may not feel like it, but there really are. The world holds so many opportunities, and we shouldn't discouraged if our original plans get changed. The world holds billions of potential unwritten futures. We just have to change our mindsets to take advantage of them. I don't know what I'll be doing or where I will be next year, but it is important for me to keep an open mind about everything.

Thanks for reading,
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment