Saturday, February 15, 2014

The Stage Headlights


The stereo blares,
The siren wails,
But I can't hear a thing
Past the
Thud
Thud
Thudding
Of my own heart.

The red lights blind,
What the rear-view mirror intensifies,
But I can't see a thing
Except for the
Tears
Tears
Tears blurring
In my eyes.

A hand,
Taps gently on my back,
But I can't feel a thing
Save for the
Brake pedal
Pedal
Pedal
My foot is gripping
Onto for dear life.

Round the corner,
Behind the curtains,
The open road lies,
But I can only focus on the
Oncoming truck's
Headlights
Headlights
Headlights
Keeping me from the other side.

----------

I hope that this poem may resonate in different ways for different readers, but I just wanted to include my intentions behind this poem because, after talking to a couple of my friends who I shared it with, I realized it may be unclear. I was thinking about stage fright when writing this poem and was drawing a parallel between the truck's blinding headlights around the street corner and the critical eyes of audience members behind the stage curtains.

No comments:

Post a Comment