Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The Challenge: Question 1

I had quite a successful day today. I interviewed 25 people and learned several unexpected, interesting facts about each of them. This challenge turned out to be even more awesome than I expected.

Question 1:
What is something about you that people would never expect just from looking at you?

Name: Ashley Q.
Description: Friend

"That I have an obsession with mustaches. I don't necessarily like them on people and probably wouldn't date someone with a mustache... It's more the idea of them that I like."








Name: Alana Y.
Description: Friend

"That I like Screamo music!"




Name: Janice
Description: A friendly, elderly employee at Barnes and Noble 

Janice: "I have recently developed an interest in dinosaurs." 
Me: "Interesting. How did you develop this interest? From reading books?"
Janice: "Actually, from watching Netflix documentaries."






Name: Paula C.
Description: Friend

"So many things... That I'm not perfect. Because so many other people think that my life is perfect and say that they wish they had my life, but they really don't know everything about me."








Name: Matt
Description: Bored worker at the mall cart selling techy gadgets.


Matt: "That is a difficult question. Shit, I don't know. I like listening to heavy metal, reading anime, and playing video games in my free time. But people could probably guess that from my appearance. I look like a huge nerd."
*long pause*
Matt: "Oh I thought of something. Though my demeanor comes off  as friendly and approachable to others, inside I hate interacting with others."
Me: "Well, isn't that kind of your job? To make conversations with passerby to make them buy your products?"
Matt: "Yeah, it sucks. I got stuck in retail and have to talk to people. I don't like it, but, I mean, what can I really do about it?"




Name: Annie M.
Description: Friend

"On the outside I may seem like I am happy and have it together, but in the inside that's truly not the case all of the time."





Name: Joanna
Description: A McDonald's employee, probably in her late twenties. 

"People would probably not guess that I like playing softball. I was good in high school."






Name: Destin
Description: Young, cute Apple store worker.

"That I have a twin."








Anna's iPhone case collage.


Name: Anna D.
Description: Friend


"That I am obsessed with Lorde and Adele."








Name: Naba A.
Description: Friend

"I don't think people would ever guess this from my appearance, but I love English-- reading, writing, and everything of that sort. I plan to major in English in college and potentially pursue a career in the field."






Name: Courtney
Description: Male employee in charge of the front Nook section in Barnes and Noble

"I was once a cheerleader at one time in high school. Pretty funny coincidence actually."

(I wanted to ask him why it was a coincidence, but I did not want to take up any more of his time. I just assumed that it was because of his name.) 




Name: Abby Z.
Description: Friend

" I once hiked all the way down the Grand Canyon and back up."







Name: Joanne Q.
Description: Comp sci friend!

" I have a blog." www.cappybara.tumblr.com










Name: Michelle L.
Description: Freshman friend

Michelle: " I don't know. That I'm Chinese and like K-pop (Korean pop music)? I'm not sure if that is all that unique though because all Asians seem to like it."
Me: "I like it. I'm writing it down anyways." 




Name: Justin Z.
Description: Paula's boyfriend

"I like anime."








Name: Shawn W.
Description: Friend and pro badminton player

"Once, when I was playing ping pong, I hit myself in the face with the paddle I was holding. There was blood everywhere, and I ended up leaving a scar by my eyebrow."






Name: Christina C.
Description: Freshman orchestra classmate!

"That I like dancing."









Name: Briana Z.
Description: Freshman violinist in my orchestra

"I have been an equestrian for ten years."





Name: Unknown
Description: Foreign custodian man wearing a florescent vest who was emptying the trash can outside of Macy's. He was genuinely confused, and I was sorry that I bothered him.

Unknown: "I don't know."
Me: "Any interesting hobbies or activities?"
*blank stare*
Unknown: I don't know. I don't know.
Me: " Oh, okay. That's fine."
Unknown (shaking his head): "Yeah, I don't know I don't know."
Me: "Okay thank you. Have a nice day!"


Name: Margaret C.
Description: My mother

"That I'm a scientist. When I tell people who don't know me, they are often surprised at this."

(I don't want to get too braggy on this post, but she in fact is a great scientist. She was awarded Woman of the Year at the Aerospace Corporation a few months ago. So proud of her.)




Name: Tamara T.
Description: My 12-year-old sister.

" That I love the world of art. Stop asking me questions and do your homework."







Name: Koh S.

Description: Classmate in orchestra & physics.

"I like 80's music. My parents gave me all of their old stuff-- I have their 80's music and a car from the 90's-- and I enjoy listening to the music they gave me."




Name: Ren C.
Description: Grandmother.

"People never guess that I have a hearing loss."

(This is indeed a true fact. My grandmother looks very young and healthy for her age, and people are often insulted when she doesn't immediately respond to them. They have no idea that she is 80 years and could not hear what they were saying properly.)





Name: Marissa D.
Description: Friend

"That I can be very strange."







Name: Abby H.
Description: Friend 

"That I can run fast and am very competitive. I would guess that people wouldn't think that by looking at me since my outward demeanor is typically much more quiet and reserved."

("Fast" is just an understatement. The truth is that Abby's a supermujer)




Name: Leah L.
Description: Friend


"That I am very empathetic towards other people."







I enjoy making funny faces.



Last but not least,
Name: Michelle T.
Description: ME!


" I think that most people's first impressions of me are often that I am serious. I give off a sort of cold, reserved vibe even without realizing it. People who don't know me well or don't read my blog usually do not realize that I have a great appreciation for humor." ;)


Well, I hope you enjoyed this post. It took me almost 3 hours to write this, but I enjoyed every minute of it. Can't wait until the next challenge. I may have to postpone tomorrow's, however, because I have a college interview.

ALL READERS OUT THERE. PLEASE POST COMMENTS WITH YOUR ANSWERS!!! (Anonymous commenting is enabled.)


4 comments:

  1. "I am actually batman"
    - Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very multi-faceted. I love guitar, music, singing. One day, I'll be jamming and singing with a buddy. The next day I'll be playing basketball or lacrosse or weightlifting. The next I'll be working on the engine of my pickup truck.

    I love people - interacting with others and meeting new people really gets me excited. I've had a lot of experiences and love talking to others about theirs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome. You sound like a really interesting person.

      I love, love, love hearing other's people's life experiences too. Especially from people who I've known for a while. I always like learning new things about people and seeing how layered/multi-dimensional everyone can be. I could listen to stories all day. :)

      Delete