Monday, December 30, 2013

Forrest Fenn's Treasure

A real-life treasure hunt.

"Of course, they don't exist," you may say.

FALSE. They do.

As of today (12/30/2013), there lies a chest containing ancient coins, jewelry, and gold pieces worth somewhere between 1,000,000 to 3,000,000 USD somewhere in the Rocky Mountains. This treasure chest was hidden by a very cool 82-year-old dude by the name of Forrest Fenn. He is a millionaire Santa Fe art collector with a passion for exploration and discovery. Ever since he found an arrowhead as a young boy, he has been hooked on the thrill of uncovering ancient artifacts.

So when he was diagnosed with kidney cancer many years back, he decided to hide a bit of his treasures out in the Rocky Mountains to allow others around the world to experience this same thrill. He published a book called "The Thrill of the Chase" in which he included a poem that described the location of his treasure. I, kindly, have provided it below.

 Where the Treasure Lies
By Forrest Fenn
 As I have gone alone in there
And with my treasures bold,
I can keep my secret where,
And hint of riches new and old.
 Begin it where warm waters halt
And take it in the canyon down,
Not far, but too far to walk,
Put in below the home of Brown.
 From there it’s no place for the meek,
The end is ever drawing nigh;
There’ll be no paddle up your creek,
Just heavy loads and water high.
 If you’ve been wise and found the blaze,
Look quickly down, your quest to cease,
But tarry scant with marvel gaze,
Just take the chest and go in peace.
 So why is it that I must go
And leave my trove for all to seek?
The answers I already know,
I’ve done it tired, and now I’m weak.
 So hear me all and listen good,Y
our effort will be worth the cold.
If you are brave and in the wood
I give you title to the gold.

A picture of the chest that Fenn later shared publicly.
 Fenn buried this treasure a few years back, but it still has not been found. No one has been able to decode this poem. And believe me, tens of thousands have already tried. Forrest Fenn is still alive to this day, and has publicly released further clues about his treasure. Apparently the treasure is hidden in a beloved spot of his, where he used to spend lots of time in solitude. There are several other clues that can be found at different online sites.


No one, not even Fenn's wife or children, knows where Fenn buried his treasure. And he is keeping his lips sealed. The treasure is still out there, somewhere, still uncovered (I believe Fenn has checked in recent months). So we all still have a chance! Better get cracking on that poem.




I was obsessing over this all last summer. If you don't believe me, ask +Anna Douville. (Sorry about all those links I forwarded to you-- that was pre-blog Michelle.)

Anyways, I just thought that this would be the most epic pre-college trip ever. Taking a road trip with friends to New Mexico and passing through Sedona, Arizona and hiking throughout the Rocky Mountains. Sleeping out under the stars and using one mere poem to guide us on the journey of our lives. A trip like that would be exactly the kind of thrilling adventure experience Forrrest Fenn was hoping to create for someone.

A real-life treasure hunt. Completely and totally awesome.


2 comments:

  1. I agree! Lets get the gang together and try this out! I feel motivated

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! We can split the profits and use them to cover the costs of private school :)

      Delete